2020 Exam Dates and Application Deadlines
Applications are accepted on a continual basis, however there is a deadline for each exam window.
- Spring Exam Window
- Applications due by March 1, 2020
- Exam window: April 1-14, 2020
- Fall Exam Window
- Applications due by September 1, 2020
- Exam window: October 1-14, 2020
2020 Fees (All prices are in US dollars)
- Regular Exam Fee $350
- VMPC Members Exam Fee $300
- Member Discount Exam Fee $315
- This includes members of AL!VE, Habitat for Humanity, NAVPLG, Volunteer Canada, Volunteer Match, VolunteerPro, and United Way.
- Exam Re-test Fee (one time only) $95
NOTE: Payments are made online via credit card just prior to the exam period when candidates do the required Technical Trial Test. You may contact us at email@example.com for alternate payment arrangements.
- Download the CCVA Handbook – Laatest Version February 2020 (PDF)
- Review and complete the CVA Documentation of Eligibility (PDF) or 2020 CVA Documentation of Eligibility (Word)
- Obtain one letter of professional reference
- Prepare your resume as a PDF
- Save your Documentation of Eligibility table as a PDF
- Submit your Application through this form: CVA Application
Once your application is reviewed and approved, you’ll receive additional information regarding the technical test and the upcoming exam window.
The CVA Exam
- multiple choice questions to assess candidate’s knowledge and ability to apply that knowledge to situations and scenarios
- two-hour timeframe allowed
- offered during two 2-week windows each year
- taken via computer and proctored via the computer camera
- candidates schedule their own exam on the computer of their choice
- Updated Test Taking Guides from the testing service provider will be posted here by July 2020.
Sign up for one of these opportunities to learn more about the CVA credential and the certification process.
- CCVA Body of Knowledge and Competency Framework (PDF)
- CVA Self-Assessment Tool (PDF)
- Sample Exam Questions (PDF)
- Accommodation Request Form (PDF)
- Facebook page for connecting with CVA study buddies
- Defining Features of Quality Certification and Assessment-Based Certificate Programs (PDF)
Preparing for the exam
Preparation for the exam is self-study. The CVA exam is designed to assess the candidate’s ability to apply the concepts of effective practice, rather than the memorization of information learned through direct study of any particular book or reference. A variety of resources are listed here:
Volunteer Administration: Professional Practice. This textbook is published by CCVA and written by CVA practitioners and academics in both the United States and Canada. Available from CCVA. The first and second editions were organized around the CVA core competencies established prior to 2014. A third edition, based on the new 2015 body of knowledge, is now available. In the meantime, both earlier editions continue to be relevant and valuable study resources.
Ellis, Susan. From the Top Down. (1996) Available from: www.energizeinc.com/store/
e-Volunteerism – The Electronic Journal of the Volunteer Community Available from: www.energizeinc.com/store/
Professional Ethics in Volunteer Administration. Download at: https://cvacert.org/resources-and-media/professional-ethics/ (free)
Candidates are encouraged to use the CVA Self-Assessment Tool to help them identify topics on which to focus their study.